I’ve just published a new article titled “What big business can learn from football”, prompted by the sacking of former Melbourne coach Mark Neeld and other issues in the Australian football league.
Five key change and leaderships lessons are identified and briefly discussed:
- We need new models of change (that are less ‘command-and-control’ and leader driven)
- “Big data” has dangers as well as promise
- The past often isn’t a good guide to the future
- In a more complex, rapidly changing world, we need to abandon many traditional strategy and planning models
- Sometimes we need buck trends, not follow them
International readers note: Australian rules football is the main form of “football” (not to be confused with soccer, which folk in many countries call football) in my home State of Victoria, Australia.